Altes Rathaus
Medieval town hallMarkt 9, on the market squareCeremony room seats 25
Building started around 1270 at the southern end and finished about a century later with the crenellated northern block; the loggia across the front went up between 1402 and 1404. The council moved out in 1978, and the upper floors have been given over to ceremonies, exhibitions and events ever since — the great hall, restored in the 1880s, carries murals by Hermann Schaper showing Hanseatic city arms and scenes from the town's own history. Marriages happen in the Dornse, the council chamber on the west side that was heated from beneath the floor when the aldermen used it, and it takes 25 people, so this is the ceremony rather than the reception. The Gänseliesel fountain stands directly outside, which settles the question of where the photographs get taken.
Vows in a heated medieval council chamber
