
Photo: Herbert Heim · CC BY-SA 4.0
Burgrestaurant Gebhardsberg
Hilltop castle ruinGebhardsberg, 598 m above the cityUp to 150 in the Montfortsaal; 350 if the whole castle is taken
The Counts of Bregenz raised a fortress on this hill before 1097; Swedish troops took it in 1647 and destroyed it the same year with five mines, and a pilgrimage church to St Gebhard was built inside the ruined palas in 1723, burned down in 1791 and was rebuilt in its present form immediately after. What survives now works as a restaurant looking down the Rhine valley to the lake. The Montfortsaal is the main room at 140 square metres, renovated in 2006/07 to plans by the architect Walter Holzmüller, seating 150 at banquet tables or 100 on rounds, with a partition for splitting it; the Pavillon in the medieval courtyard takes 40 to 110 from April to October and 30 to 80 heated through winter. Smaller parties get the Burgstüble under a fifteenth-century Gothic ceiling, or the Burgvinothek for 30 among thousand-year-old walls. The chapel seats up to 100 but is booked through the Bregenz parish office, not the restaurant.
Fortress blown up by Swedish troops, 1647










