Hotel St. Petersinsel
Island hotel in a former priorySt. Petersinsel, Erlach46 in the Gotischer Saal; 8 in the Jean-Jacques Rousseau-Zimmer
The buildings are what survives of a Cluniac priory — the island was given to the Abbey of Cluny in 1107 and the monks held it until 1484 — and the house trades today as a hotel and restaurant, carrying both the Swiss Design Hotels and Swiss Historic Hotels badges. Jean-Jacques Rousseau spent six weeks here in 1765 before Bern expelled him, and the room named after him is one of two the canton licenses for a binding civil ceremony: the Rousseau-Zimmer for eight guests, the Gotischer Saal for 46. Arrival is half the occasion. BSG boats call in from Biel, Ligerz and La Neuveville, a taxi boat can be booked for stragglers, and anyone who would rather walk takes the Heidenweg, the three-kilometre spit of land that surfaced when the first Jura water correction dropped the lake 2.5 metres in 1891 and turned the island into a peninsula.
Former Cluniac priory reached by boat or causeway










