
Photo: Marnal · CC0
Pousada Palácio Estoi
Palace hotelEstoi, north of FaroPalace halls up to 50; meadow garden up to 170
Work started on the palace in the 1840s and stalled when its owner died in 1847; it was finished by José Francisco da Silva, who took on the ruin in 1893, was made Viscount of Estoi in 1906 and opened the completed building in May 1909. Listed as a property of public interest since 1977, it is now a 63-room Pousada whose gardens still step down in three terraces linked by double staircases and blue-and-white tile panels. Ceremonies go in the São José chapel or the village church, and the neo-rococo and neoclassical halls hold only 50 — larger numbers move outside to the meadow garden and its ceiling of 170. The old stables and the restaurant in the palace kitchen, with its original stove and chimney, absorb the rest of the day.
Pink rococo palace, azulejo garden terraces


